I think I have a thing for street signs.
Some downtown Amsterdam. This area had tons of restaurants. All super overpriced, too. We weren't blown away by food we had in Amsterdam, but I loved some of the restaurants we tried in the surrounding towns!
I was really looking forward to seeing the Anne Frank House. All things holocaust have always interested me. Usually there is a long line to get in this time of year, but since it was raining and later in the day, we got in pretty quickly. Pictures aren't allowed inside. Kind of a bummer! You get to walk through the first floor which used to be home to Otto's spices/pectin business, and then above that you walk through what were business offices. After going through those, you get to walk up some more stairs and through the secret bookcase up to where Anne and 7 others hid for 25 months. Those rooms seemed so little.. and they are no longer furnished. It would have been so crammed full of furniture and belongings. It was really interesting to walk through all the rooms. In Anne's room, you can see on the wall the pencil marks and writing where Otto kept track of Anne's and Margot's growth while in hiding. Anne's pictures that she glued on the wall are still there, too. So sad to think that they hid for so long only to be found and sent to concentration camps.
Luke at the entrance to the house. I think this place made an impression on him. Yesterday I made some baked potatoes and he asked me if they're good for us because, "Anne Frank ate potatoes when she was hiding, and she died." Cutie thing to remember. I didn't remember the museum giving much info about what they ate, but I guess he caught on that they had potatoes.
It was dark and rainy when we finished touring the house. Here it is from the outside.
I got another picture of it in daylight when we did the canal tour. It's the building in the middle.
There are big houseboats tied up all over along the river. Some people live on them all the time.
Cutie tiny car above the bridge. Ella told me I wouldn't fit in it.
In the boat!
And more canal tour pictures..
Looking up where to eat after the tour... :)
Abs!
In front of the Rijksmuseum...
I amsterdam :)
At Vondelpark! It was right next to the place we stayed.
I think we all had a close call or two of being run over by a biker! There are bike lanes everywhere along the pedestrian walks and the bikes don't slow down at all for people. It took a little while to realize which places were strictly for bikers. haha.
Olympic Stadium... main site of the 1928 summer olympics. It was the cheapest place to park overnight.
Cool place!






























2 comments:
Love your picture selections :) I'm working on catching up.. ha! I'm glad you put the naked butt picture in. Makes me laugh every time I see it.
Looks like an awesome place! I just looked at you baby ticker and I can't believe you are almost 31 weeks! HOw exciting- hope you're feeling ok- you look so cute!
Post a Comment