Wednesday, June 08, 2011

London with Rick and Sherry

While Rick and Sherry were here we played in London a couple of times.  One day with the kids, one day the next week without, and then Jake and Rick explored some of the city one day on their own.  There's so much to do and see in this place.  I just ♥ London.   
We started our first day in the city with a bus tour.  
Here we are... our bus is reflected in this passing bus's windows.  


You can get some great shots of the city from the top of a bus!  I think this next pic was taken while going over London Bridge.  You're high enough in the buses that other cars aren't blocking your view.


Parliament from another bridge...


And the 'modern' side of London...

That tall building still being built will be the tallest in Europe when completed.  It's called the Shard.
And some more pictures, just because.

I'm super excited about the Olympics next summer.  Jake and I are crossing our fingers that we'll get some of the tickets we put in for.  We'll see.  It's kind of like a lottery system.  I really want to see some of the mens swimming relays... Jake wants to see some basketball, and we both want to see a few track events.  I think we'll find out soon if we get any.  All the Olympic stuff is being put up now.  Here's a recent addition to Trafalgar Square.



All of us (minus Rick who was taking the picture) at Trafalgar Square...


Luke and El goofing around before we went on a river tour...



On the boat with Tower Bridge is in the background. 


And a close up!


All of the stores that make items for the Queen and the royal family display the royal coat of arms in their window.  This company makes the queen's horse whips and gloves.  Cutie.

We took Rick and Sherry to The Kensington Creperie. Tried their ice cream this time too. Quite tasty!


On our way home.


And some pictures from our adult day in London. 


My favorite part of the day was going inside Westminster Abbey.  I've walked by a few times, but it's the first time I actually went inside.  AMAZING.  I've been in a lot of cathedrals since moving here, but this one is my favorite.
  

No photography is allowed inside, but Sherry and I got a picture outside.  This is the door Kate entered and left from on the royal wedding day :)


Some people like fish and some don't.  Jake, Rick, and Sherry thought it was tasty.  I'll stick to my chicken sandwich, thanks.  :)


We explored the Tower of London.  There's so much to see here... if you want to spend a full day I"m sure you'd find plenty to see.  We stayed for a few hours.  Seeing England's crown jewels was my favorite part. 




A lot of beheadings and executions occured here, and many people were imprisoned in the towers before their death.  You can see little messages they carved into the walls while there.  Crazy.


Cutie guard.


There's a big area that shows the evolution of armor... check this outfit out.  haha



After checking out the tower we went over to the Churchill War Rooms.  These rooms were left as they were at the end of the war in the 1940s.  I'm not a big war buff, but even I thought this place was interesting. 





Next, we walked over to Buckingham Palace.



 
We walked around the city for a little while and browsed the candy area of Selfridges Dept. store before heading home.  Fun day!


1 comment:

Chris and Abby said...

Such fun pictures. It makes me so excited to come visit next year! I want lukes ice cream bad.... It looks almost too perfect with those fresh raspberries. Yum!