Monday, October 19, 2009

Wild Things, Pumpas and Soup.

Friday night we loaded the kids and a bunch of blankets, pillows and snacks in the car and headed over to the drive-in theater. It was fun! I hadn't been to a drive-in since I was a kid. We saw Where the Wild Things Are. It didn't live up to the high expectations I had and was kind of long, but the characters were cute and Luke seemed to like it.
Saturday we made a visit to the pumpkin patch. It's tradition now! I hope the next place we move has one too. :)
Ella loved all of the "pumpas!!" Whenever I was carrying her she would be squirming to get down and touch them. They had big piles of various kinds of squash too. She was having fun!

Checking out the animals...
This big peacock flew up right next to Jake! It was huge and creepy.

Hay maze...
The pumpkin Luke picked out! He picked one for Ella too, but we don't know what happened to hers. Mysteriously disappeared from the car on the way home.

And one last thing.
We tried a new soup recipe last week. It's from this fun Halloween book that my grandparents gave to Luke and is pretty tasty! Looks really festive too in the pumpkin. You should try it.


Extra Good Alphabet Soup in a Pumpkin
Slice off top of 1 medium size pumpkin; clean out inside of pumpkin and set aside. Saute 4 cut-up chicken breasts in 3 tablespoons of butter until golden. Remove and saute 3 sliced carrots, 2 sliced celery stalks, and 1/2 cup scallions. Add 1 can each of cream of chicken soup, cream of celery soup, and chicken alphabet soup. Stir in 1 can water, 1/3 cup sour cream, and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg. Mix well and pour into hollow pumpkin. Top with pumpkin top. Place on baking sheet and bake in a 350 oven for 90 minutes. Scrape pumpkin sides when serving (the best part!) Makes 8 servings.

2 comments:

Chris and Abby said...

The drive in movies sound like so much fun :) That's an idea for thanksgiving weekend?!! Cutie luke and Ella with the pumpkins. Sad about Ellas pumpkin... find it before it stinks up your car!

Kristen said...

I'll have to try that soup! Cutie pumpas talker.