Entrance to the camp...
"Arbeit macht frei" means "work brings freedom".
A picture posted showing what the barracks used to be like...
Allied troops razed the 32 prisoners' barracks to the ground when they liberated the camp in 1945, but two have been reconstructed to illustrate the squalid living conditions. Each barrack was built to house 208 people; by 1936, they accommodated up to 1,600 each!
Buildings used to line this main road. Shops where prisoners worked, etc. You can still see their foundations. This is the main road where prisoners would gather and pass information to each other, etc.
She just thought it was a cool place to collect shiny rocks.
Crematorium and gas chamber. Yikes. More than 32,000 people died at this camp, and thousands more were executed. The camp is scattered with lots of memorials.
So, we were here. Crazy place. What do you do in pictures at these places? Or do you not take pictures of people, just the place? I wasn't sure. I thought the memorial behind us was interesting though.
1 comment:
Yikes, I was unaware I was holding my breath reading the post until I realized I wasn't breathing. Gives me the shivs.
Post a Comment